Thursday 16 June 2016

Time for a change



I've been thinking about a name change for a while. The name Nanfan is one I have used as a gamertag and nickname since I was 12 wherever such a thin was called for. So when I opened my online shops five years ago without a very clear idea of what I wanted to do with them it seemed natural for me to use that name again.

Back then I started out selling prints of my illustrations and handpainted domino tiles.

Now however, my business is a lot clearer to me - I make handmade jewellery with the inspiration taken from storytelling - fairytales, folklore and fantasy - and also from the nature around me that I love so much - woodland, wildflowers and wilderness.




So I wanted a new name and have been annoying friends and family with every new idea that came to me; "What do you think of Nimue? Nenya? What about Dryad? Maybe it should be two names - Nettle and Nymph?" They showed remarkable patience - thank you guys!
And all of these names where duly googled in case they already existed and I even checked domain names.

In the end the choice seemed simple enough. It's a name I came up with years ago when I was playing online roleplaying games. My character was a druid and I wanted the name to reflect mysticism along with deep roots in nature (there's also a little joke in the name as the character was a tauren - affectionately referred to as cows in the game).
She was called Sycamoon. From Sycamore - a family of trees not native to England but hardy and beautiful. And moon of course - ever a great symbol for the mystical and unearthly.
So there you have it. I think it is perfect for my jewellery and I love that I already have a history with the name.